Projects / Exhibitions / Residencies (a selection)
Now / Coming up:
– Garment Grammar, a research into the role of language in disembodiment and mystification trough fashion media.
– Launch of V*GUE, the first zine as a result of A Magazine Reader workshop (a Press & Fold + Garment Grammer workshop). In collaboration with MA Fashion Strategy ArtEZ. This launch is a Warehouse event at Walter Books on Friday 29th of June. The zine is designed by Corine van der Wal.
– Fashion Colloquium; Searching For The New Luxury at State Of Fashion. Talk on V*GUE, Issue February 2018 as a result of A Magazine Reader workshop.
– Launch of Warehouse, A Place For Clothes In Context. 23 Feb
– A Magazine Reader workshop (By Hanka van der Voet: Press & Fold + Femke de Vries: Garment Grammer ) in collaboration with MA Fashion Strategy ArtEZ students.
– Press & Fold, notes on making and doing fashion. A magazine by Hanka van der Voet. A column
– Fashioning Value – Undressing Ornament (2015), reprint designed by Hans Gremmen. Published by Onomatopee
– ArtsIceland, a research residency. Ísafjörður, Iceland
– De Best Verzorgde Boeken, Dictionary Dressings selected by studentjury
– The Sointula Art Shed, research residency. Sointula, Canada, BC
– KONT magazine, Dictionary Dressings featured. NL
– Gerrit Rietveld Academie, TXT (Textile) department. Committee member graduation presentations. Amsterdam, NL
– Garment Magazine (by AMFI students), ‘A Coat That Fits Like A Glove’, a text on tights
– MetropolisM, bookreview Dictionary Dressings
– Harvard Design Magazine ‘Carry, Conceal, Hide, Suggest, Cover’ a text on The Purpose of Pockets in collaboration with Joke Robaard
– Everything And Everybody As Material: beyond fashion design methods, Fashion Conference. A reading on fashion publication in collaboration with Laura Gardner, Hanka van der Voet and Dolci&Kabana (Ricarda Bigolin and Nella Themelios). Borås, SE
– NP3, Dictionary Dressings exhibition with works by BLESS, Elisa van Joolen, Conny Groenewegen, Ruby Hoette and Sanne van den Elzen. Groningen, NL
– KC Grad, Dictionary Dressings guestlecture in collaboration with Conny Groenewegen. Begrado, RS
– AMFI, guestlecture about Dictionary Dressings. Amsterdam, NL
– NP3, Dictionary Dressings talk by Joke Robaard. Groningen, NL
– NP3 / Minerva Art Academy, Dictionary Dressings Workshop. Groningen, NL
– University of Hertfordshire, talk about Dictionary Dressings. Hertfordshire, GB
– Onomatopee, Dictionary Dressings exhibition with works by BLESS, Elisa van Joolen, Conny Groenewegen and Ruby Hoette. Eindhoven, NL
– HKU (University of the Arts Utrecht), Dictionary Dressings Workshop 03. Utrecht, NL
– ArtEZ Fashion Masters, guest lecture and Dictionary Dressings workshop 02. December 7. Arnhem, NL
– Onomatopee, launch of the Dictionary Dressings publication – talk by Joke Robaard. Eindhoven, NL
– Wad&Design Festival, workshop Mapping Change. Schiermonnikoog, NL
– The Sointula Art Shed, research residency. Sointula, Canada, BC
– Jewellery Perspectives, A research project of Evelien Bracke and Irma Földényi. Advisor. NL
– Hordaland Kunstsenter, audio work for An Archipelago Mixtape. Bergen, NO
– Mondriaan Fund and Flanders Arts Institute: Fashioning Value – Undressing Ornament selected for Offprint London.
– Waag Soiety, expert at round table workshop/masterclass: recrafting craft. Amsterdam, NL
– HKU (University of the Arts Utrecht), Workshop 01. December. Utrecht, NL
– Posture Magazine, publication of Clothes are Souvenirs, an excerpt of Fashioning Value – Undressing Ornament. New York, USA
– Form Magazine, Fashioning Value – Undressing Ornament featured. DE
– Droog, The Price of Fashion, Shifting the worth of clothing from “brand-value” to “use-value”. A debate with panelmembers: Milou van Rossum, Willa Stoutenbeek, José Teunissen and Femke de Vries. Moderated by fashion journalist Aynouk Tan. Amsterdam, NL
– Stimuleringsfonds Creatieve Industrie, talk on Fashioning Value – Undressing Ornament. Rotterdam, NL
– Onomatopee, booklaunch of Fashioning Value – Undressing Ornament – talk with Ruby Hoette. Eindhoven, NL
– Galerie Block C, a talk on Fashioning Value – Undressing Ornament with Sue – an van der Zijpp. Groningen, NL
– Onomatopee project – space publication of Fashioning Value – Undressing Ornament. Eindhoven, NL
– Clothes are Souvenirs, an excerpt of Fashioning Value – Undressing Ornament published in the KABK textile and fashion department graduation magazine. Den Haag, NL
– Gastatelier Leo XIII (residency), a publication about recent residents.
– Here, There, Everywhere, a publication about design projects by Drooglab part of Droog design. Including Droog Al Arab in which I participated.
– Walnut Mixstore, work on show. Groningen, NL
– Design Triënnale / Daniela Dossi / Irma Földényi (conflict and design), design of a ‘work outfit’ for Post Ford Probes – Soup Station, a project by Daniela Dossi and Irma Földényi. Genk, BE www.conflictanddesign.be
– Salon/Bj, Beijing Design Week, a project called Patchwork Spaces. Beijing, China
– Kunstpaviljoen Roden, a customize workshop. Roden, NL
– WinterSALON/, an xhibition at Magazijn. Amsterdam, NL
– Object Rotterdam, a group exhibition. Rotterdam, NL
– Salon/Istanbul, a group exhibition. Istanbul, TR
– You Are Here concept store, work featured. Eindhoven, NL
– Elle Inside Design, work featured. Amsterdam, NL
– LeoXIII Gastatelier, research residency. Tilburg, NL
– Micro Utopias, a project by Daniela Dossi, design of an apron. Utrecht, NL
– Next Nature, Nature Changes Along with Us, work featured in a publication by Koert van Mensvoort and Hendrik Jan Grievink. NL
– Daily Future, work featured in the Moon Life Concept Store by Alicia Framis. Rabo Kunstzone. Utrecht, NL
– Salon/, Marres, group exhibition. Maastricht, NL
– Moon Life Foundation, Alicia Framis, development of a Prêt à Porter collection for ‘outer space’. Amsterdam, NL
– Margreeth Olsthoorn, To Refer To, a solo exhibition at Margreeth Olsthoorn (MGHO) Rotterdam, NL
– Moon Life Concept Store, work featured. Amsterdam, NL
– Stroom Den Haag, One Hour On Scarves, development of a publication for the Timebank. Den Haag, NL
– Metropolis M no. 03, an article about ‘The spur of the moment’ an exhibition curated by Koen Delaere at Nest. Den Haag, NL
– Time/Store at Stroom Den Haag, work featured. Den Haag, NL
– Nest, The Spur of the Moment, a group exhibition at Nest. Den Haag, NL
– Design Miami, A group exhibition at Nektar de Stagni. Miami, USA
– SPRMRKT, work on show. Amsterdam, NL
– Dutch Design Week, curation of exhibition ‘Anoniem Design’ Eindhoven, NL
– Parool, PS stijl, Unstated Statements 02 featured. Amsterdam, NL
– Kunstraum Innsbruck, Ulli und Stefans lustige wanderausstellung – Kunstler freizeit Berliner Hutte. An exhibition. Innsbruck, AT.
– Arnhem Mode Biennale 2009, ArtEZ+ a group exhibition. Arnhem, NL
– Weltraum, Das Herr Winkelhuber Stipendium, An exhibition. Munchen, DE
– DAMn no.20 Publication.
– Guantanamomuseum, Participation in a project by Alicia Framis. Istituto Europeo di Design Madrid. Madrid, ES
– CBK Dordrecht, Anoniem Design, development of an exhibition in collaboration with Ann Maes. Dordrecht, NL
– Ein Magazin uber orte 4, publication.
Teaching / Other
Founder of Warehouse, a place for clothes in context in Amsterdam. Together with Hanka van der Voet and Elisa van Joolen.
ArtEZ Fashion Masters, Fashion Strategy
Tutor graduation theses and lecturer Fashion Theory in collaboration with Hanka van der Voet and Maaike Feitsma.
Arnhem, Feb 2016 –
HKU, University of the Arts Utrecht, Fashion
Tutor graduation research projects and teacher Cultural Studies.
HKU Lectorate: Part of the researchgroup ‘Research in Creative Practices’.
Utrecht, Nov 2015 –
Willem de Kooning Academy
Various: Teacher / tutor practice based research/ artistic research and final thesis for Lifestyle & Design. Tutor graduation research projects for New Frontiers and Branding.
Rotterdam, Sept 2011 – July 2017
An education in fashion and interior design. Teacher / tutor design, technique and textiles.
Groningen, Oct 2005 –
AMFI, Amsterdam Fashion Institute
Tutor graduation research papers Fashion Design. Teacher research 1st year students.
Amsterdam, Feb 2015 – Feb 2016
KABK, Royal Academy of Art
Course: Textile & Fashion. Lecturer / tutor Fashion Philosophy.
Den Haag, Jan – May 2015.
Noordelijke Hogeschool Leeuwarden
Course: Docent Beeldende Kunst & Vormgeving. Guest lecturere and Guesttutor graduation projects.
Leeuwarden, June 6 Nov 14 & 28 2014, Oct 1 2015.
ArtEZ Fashion Masters
Tutor – assistent of a series of lessons ‘Designer branding’ for Fashion Design. Assistant course coordinator and project manager at Fashion, Design & Strategy.
Arnhem, Aug 2008 – July 2009.